Sunday 1 August 2010

My First Simple Living Blog

My dream is to own much less and lead a more fulfilled life.  I've spent years decluttering but only to build up my possessions again, particularly through the seductive nature of cheap goods at car boot sales, charity shops and household recycling centres.  Now I've faced the fact that if I want to recognise my dream I will have to stop sabbotaging my own efforts.  What I really want to do is aim at minimalism which is more of a lifestyle change than decluttering so here is my blog to document that change.

This week I put out 5 bags for charity filled with clothes, jewellery, books and ornaments.  I tore up letters and greetings cards and put them out for recycling.  I tackled a drawer I called my "glory hole" which contained anything which I just did not know where to put but I was unable to let go of due to emotional attachments.  Here are some examples:
  • Greetings cards which say "from mum and dad" - dad being deceased.
  • A letter to my ex husband from his father saying he didn't want to see his son again (I don't know how I ended up with this but I didn't have the heart to upset my ex by sending it to him).
  • My children's milk teeth.
  • My gallstones from an operation I had in the 1980s.
  • A blue light bulb which was my childhood night light in the 1960s.
  • Lots of art done by my children and given to me.
I was only able to let go of the greetings cards and unpleasant letter.  I made a small memory box for the art and I'll probably put the teeth in there too (what do parents do with children's teeth?).  The glory hole is Emotion Central but I found better places for some of the other things.  I think the gallstones will go in the bin shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment